New Prairie

From New Prairie Wiki
Revision as of 09:14, 13 July 2019 by Randombell (Talk | contribs) (Surrounding Area)

Jump to: navigation, search
</th></tr>
New Prairie
City
New Prairie, Wisconsin
A portion of New Prairie looking west at sunset.
A portion of New Prairie looking west at sunset.
Motto: "New lives. New starts. New Prairie."
Country United States
State Wisconsin
Settled 1634
Incorporated (town) October 1, 1854
Incorporated (city) April 13, 1918
Founded by Nucci Balfone (at time of City status)
Government
 • Type Mayor–council
Area
 • City 55.96 sq mi (144.9 km2)
 • Land 45.47 sq mi (117.8 km2)
Elevation 581 ft (177 m)
Population (2010)
 • City 104,057
 • Estimate (2013) 104,779
 • Density 2,288.5/sq mi (883.6/km2)
 • Urban 206,520
 • Metro 312,409
Zip Code 54301
Area code(s) 920

New Prairie is a city within the state of Wisconsin. It is located in a sub-basin of Lake Michigan at the mouth of the Berchioli River. New Prairie is located north of Milwaukee. As of the 2013 U.S. census, the city had a population of 104,779, making it the third-largest city in Wisconsin.

New Prairie is home to numerous high profile companies, including the national headquarters of JP Loans (financial properties), Hazdon Industries (chemicals and science), and Haast Enterprises (scientific research).

History

Fur Trading & Fishing Origins

The mouth of the sub-basin attracted many travelers and visitors from all over. The first was commissioned explorer Jean Nicolet who, while en route to make peace treaties with Native American tribes, set foot on the shoreline that would eventually become New Prairie, in 1634. For the next 200 years, the area was home to numerous travelers, explorers, and both the Menominee and Ho-Chunk Tribes, but never grew anymore than a simple outpost with goods to be sold.

A key element of the natural land that helped attract travelers by working as a natural landmark for directions, was the giant (and out of place) Cambiare Rock. Originally called Tanka He (Sioux for "Big Mountain"), the unnaturally large mountain was easy to spot from miles away in any direction as it stood high above the rolling hills of the surrounding area. Stranger yet was that at the base of the mountain (and what eventually became the land New Prairie sits on) was a large, flattened chunk of land. The Algonquian tribes thought this part of state was unsettling to them and rarely stayed long at it, claiming there to be a dark and angry presence near by.

It wasn't until 1844 that more permanent structures started appearing along the banks of the lake, the first of which was called McCleod's Pier. During the next 10 years, additional businesses and trades started settling down and opening shops of their own including a barber, a dry goods store, and of course a saloon. With a steadily growing population, the land known as New Prairie officially became the Town of New Prairie in 1854.

As the Town grew and new professions came in, new roads and homes were built slowly expanding away from the water. The first Church built in the town, St. Murphy’s Church was completed in 1851 and stood on it's spot until it's collapse in 1911 (later to be rebuilt at it's new location, just a few blocks away at the foot of Cambiare Rock.

A Melting Pot of Cultures

Because of it's prime location and easily accessible docks for travelers, many cultures and nationalities would pass through the town of New Prairie. Native Americans traveling north would stop in, Canadian-French families would travel south looking for jobs, and both Italians and Scottish families found themselves leaving Milwaukee in the late 1800's to escape the slowly growing troubles of the big city. They came across the Lake... From Canada. Frontiers men from the snowy nort. There was a reading post for trappers and fishermen. A community of Native and New Americans.

Infrastructure

Government

New Prairie has had numerous mayors over it's 100+ year's of being a city. Many of them have been tied to some of the city's most memorable historic moments.

Education

Schools

Major Streets

  • Codington Lane
  • Corrotto Lane
    • Road that Vinnie’s house is located on, inside of Ferterelli Estates.
  • Fortuna Lane
  • Henson Road
    • Road runs northwest to southeast off of Morboso Ave on the south side. From Morboso Ave going east, it takes you to the location of Hazdon. Going northwest leads you past the Martini Farm and eventually to The Hollow.
  • Hubeto
  • Morboso Ave
    • Previously County Road JJ. Only road that goes from the south side, straight through to the north side of New Prairie.
      • Victoria Quidd lived at 1599 Morbosa Ave during her attempt at resurrecting Damien.
  • Morte
    • Original road stretched from southeast to northwest in New Prairie until the great fire and reconstruction of the downtown area split the road in two. Only four blocks of it exist now on the eastern side (East Morte). The western part (West Morte) consists of 6 blocks of residential area that ends at Morboso Ave. Part of the intersection where the great fire started.
  • Naufragio Ave
    • On northwest bank of the river, cuts through a major subdivision built after the fire of 1976.
  • Oklahoma Ave
    • South East of the river, running out near Hazdon Industries and parallel to Henson Road.
  • Perdita
    • North to south road that lasted 8 blocks until the great fire. After that, it’s length has been cut in half due to the reconstruction of the downtown area. Part of the intersection where the great fire started.
  • Quinto Ave
  • Shonash Lane
    • Curving road located in the Ferterelli Housing District.
  • Southport/Southporth Bridge
    • One of the major bridges that cross the river.

Additional Streets

  • 9th Street
  • Stenson Ave

Surrounding Area

  • Lake Potowotominimac is located 30 miles northwest of New Prairie. On the lake Perk's Pine Lodge Resort is a popular tourist spot for visitors.
  • Haddonfield, Il, home to serial killer Michael Myers, is located 200 miles south west from the city.